A natural yet altered state of mind where communication and responsiveness with the subconscious mind is present. IIH General Working Definition
Who Can Be Hypnotized?
90% of all people can by hypnotized. The best subject is a person who has a definite reason or motivation for wanting to be hypnotized.
Characteristics of Hypnosis
- Extraordinary quality of relaxation
- Normalization of the central nervous system
- State of intensified attention and receptiveness to ideas
- Heightened awareness
Myths about Hypnotherapy Dispelled
- Control--You are always in control and can come out of hypnosis any time you choose.
- Acting out of character--You will never say or do anything in a state of hypnosis that is not in accord with your moral principles.
- Getting stuck in hypnosis--You cannot get stuck. You can end a state of hypnosis simply by opening your eyes.
- Hypnotherapists have mystical powers--Not true. A hypnotherapist understands that you hypnotize yourself. The therapist just uses effective suggestion delivery to alter your state of mind and help you bring about the hypnotic state.